Savor the Bliss of Mounds Poke Cake
Indulge in the exquisite Mounds Poke Cake, a dessert that marvelously marries the rich tastes of chocolate and coconut, reminiscent of the cherished Mounds candy bar. This dessert elevates the classic American poke cake tradition, where holes are poked into a baked cake and filled with delicious liquid, infusing extra moisture and flavor. In this innovative variation, a coconut-infused syrup enhances the cake, making it a dream come true for chocolate and coconut lovers, with the added convenience of a boxed cake mix.
Mounds Poke Cake: A Showstopper Dessert
This casserole-style Mounds Poke Cake is bound to be the star of your dessert table. Enhance its chocolatey delight with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. To balance its sweetness, pair it with a strong coffee or a cold glass of milk. For an opulent touch, sprinkle toasted coconut flakes or almond slivers on top, nodding to the iconic Mounds candy.
Mounds Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (plus water, oil, and eggs as directed on the box)
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (15 oz) can of coconut cream
- 1 (7 oz) package of shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 (12 oz) container of chocolate frosting
- Optional: additional shredded coconut or almond slivers for garnish
- Preheat your oven as directed on the cake mix box, usually around 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix as per the package instructions and pour it into a greased 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Bake for the time indicated on the box, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- While warm, poke holes throughout the cake with a wooden spoon handle or similar tool.
- Mix sweetened condensed milk and coconut cream in a bowl. Pour this mixture over the cake, filling the holes.
- Let the cake cool completely to fully absorb the milk mixture.
- Spread the shredded coconut over the cake.
- Microwave the chocolate frosting until pourable, about 20-30 seconds. Pour it evenly over the coconut layer.
- Optionally, add more shredded coconut or almond slivers for garnish.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set before serving, allowing the flavors to blend.