Russian Tea Balls, also known as Russian Tea Cakes or Snowballs, are delightful bite-sized treats that are perfect for any occasion. These small, powdered sugar-coated cookies are popular in many Russian households during the holiday season, but they can be enjoyed year-round. With a delicate buttery crumb and a nutty flavor, these tea balls are sure to impress your family and friends.
To serve these delightful treats, you can present them on a festive platter or serve them alongside a warm cup of tea or coffee. The combination of the crumbly texture with a hot beverage creates a comforting and satisfying experience. Furthermore, Russian Tea Balls can be a lovely addition to a cookie tray or a dessert buffet. Their simplicity allows them to complement a wide range of desserts, making them a versatile and well-loved treat.
Russian Tea Balls Recipe:
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups chopped walnuts
2 cups softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until well combined.
3. Add the vanilla extract and salt, and mix until incorporated.
4. Gradually add the flour, one cup at a time, and continue mixing until a dough forms.
5. Gently fold in the chopped walnuts until evenly distributed in the dough.
6. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on baking sheet.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly golden.
8. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet.
9. While still warm, roll each cookie in powdered sugar until well coated.
10. Allow the Russian Tea Balls to cool completely on a wire rack.
11. Once cooled, roll them in powdered sugar again for a snowy finish.
Whether you choose to enjoy Russian Tea Balls as a homemade treat or bring them to a gathering, their delicate and nutty flavor will surely please everyone. Be sure to share the recipe with others, as these delightful cookies are a wonderful way to spread joy and indulge in a delightful Russian tradition.